Wednesday 8 January 2014

Dream Girl NEELUM MUNIR IN A NEW AVATAR

MAGAZINE TITLE,cover,fashion magazine,Looks does matter and Pakistan television industry is fortunate enough to have some multi-talented faces who can even kill with their looks and Neelum Munir is no exception. She has come a long way since her days of playing Shaista in the blockbuster drama serial ‘Jalpari’. The young actress has had a remarkable journey – from conducting a street show in Nadia Khan Show to doing countless advertisements and finally trying her luck at Be Majestic this Eidthe latter proved to be one that finally struck gold for her. Since then, this talented young beauty has starred in numerous hit drama serials, namely‘Qaid-e-Tanhai’, ‘Shehr-e-Dil Ke Darwazey’, ‘Ashk’, ‘Meri Behen Maya’ and ‘Kyun Hai Tu’among many others. Apart from that, she has done a few telefilms also which include ‘Achay Ki Larki’,‘Main Tum Aur Imran Hashmi’‘Wafa Baloch Ki Bewafai’ and a few others. Recently, MAG caught up with Neelum and talked to her about her work ethics, her likes and dislikes and the future projects


acting – FASHION MAGAZINE

FASHION MAGAZINE
Please tell our readers how you ventured into showbiz.
You see, I was always into acting. As I recall, I used to act in front of the mirror all the time. My father wanted me to become a lawyer but I had no interest in it whatsoever because it was acting I had always wanted to be my profession. I remember I used to love taking part in school plays, I would never let go of any opportunity to show off my acting skills – I was like that! (Laughs). It was my mother who convinced my father to let me get into showbiz and follow my dream. I am completely satisfied that I am following my dream.
How did you get your big break?
There had been some auditions going on in our school for a biscuit advertisement and I got selected. After that, I was offered a couple more advertisements and I ended up doing those as well. Then Nadia Khan watched me on screen and offered me to do a segment for her show. Then Babar Javed called me up for a play. My family didn’t want me to get into acting, so I was a bit hesitant at first when this offer came along. But then Babar told me that it’s a good opportunity and I should go for it. So, I pondered over it for some time and eventually accepted it.
FASHION MAGAZINESo, when you got into it, did you get your family’s full support?
Well… I did get 100 per cent support from my mother. I believe that a mother’s support is really very important for a girl, so I consider myself lucky to have her by my side since day one.
What’s your top-most priority when a project comes your way? A good director, script or cast?
First and foremost priority is the script, after that director and then production team. If these three things are strong, then it doesn’t really matter what the other cast is. Till date I have never requested to be paired with a certain actor or complained about working with any actor. My first priority is doing justice to my character, that’s all.FASHION MAGAZINE
Do you think ‘Jalpari’ was the turning point in your career? 
It was! All credit goes to Iqbal Ansari who was the producer and he took a huge risk with me, because the drama was based on this girl’s story so I had to deliver. To be honest, I dealt with a lot of pressure because it was a very difficult character and working with Sarmad is not a piece of cake. Plus, Sarmad Sehbai’s script was very hard. In the end however, it was all worth it as we got a phenomenal response from the audience. This project is very close to my heart. I am looking forward to playing another character as challenging as the one I depicted in ‘Jalpari’.
FASHION MAGAZINETell us about your experience of working in ‘Kyun Hai Tu’.
It was a very different character but I had a lot of fun playing it. It was the first time I ever worked with Bushra Ansari. It was like a dream come true. I have learnt a
lot from her.

Neelum Unplugged…
When I wake up... I am always angry, I don’t know why. (Laughs). On a serious note however, as soon as I wake up I recite Kalma and then I pray that my day turns out good.
Before I go to bed... I have a glass of milk.
How would you describe Neelum Munir in your own words?
A happy-go-lucky girl, who loves to laugh and talk all the time.
The best thing that's been said about me…
I consider myself truly blessed because people usually say such nice things about me which is very kind of them.
The biggest rumour you heard about yourself... It happened quite recently, when people spread rumours that my nikah took place.
If I weren't doing what I'm doing today? I can’t imagine myself doing something else. But if I had to pick something then I would probably have been a lawyer like my father wanted me to be.
My legacy…Would be my work and my positivity.
Women should always... Stay busy and they should make it a point to contribute to society.
Men should never…Cheat a woman.
Botox is... A good option. For instance, if at 50 I am still working in showbiz and I want to look good then I would definitely go for it. Why not?!
My mother…Is my best friend. Whatever I have achieved so far in my life is all because of her, I owe everything to her.
The future will be…Amazing, you will see. (Laughs)
Happiness is... Helping others.
There is too much of... Hypocrisy in our society.
There's a time and place for... Everything. You just have to be patient.
After doing so many serious characters, would you like to try your hand at comedy now? 
Unfortunately, people here don’t believe in taking risks due to which actors get type-casted. Take my example, I am only offered certain kinds of roles now because of that I have become really selective, after all who wants to play the same characters over and over again. I believe that’s a very wrong approach. I have done a few comic roles in the past, but it’s something very hard to do and it doesn’t come naturally to me.
FASHION MAGAZINE
How do you think you have grown as an actress? 
I can’t say that I have become better but whenever I take up any project I always try to give my 100 per cent. I still get nervous and I worry whether the audience would like my work or not. So, I can’t really rate my acting skills but there’s definitely room for improvement. When people come to me and praise my work, I feel I have done something good.
Who do you think you share the best on-screen chemistry with?
I believe I share good chemistry with all of my co-stars.
Do you have friends in showbiz? If yes, please name some of your closest friends.
Well… I don’t really believe in making that many friends in showbiz. You’ll be surprised to know that most of my showbiz friends are all older than me; like Madam Sangeeta, Seemi Pasha, Aijazz Aslam, Faisal Qureshi and Bushra Ansari, they are all good friends.

Neelum as a Fashionista
Your favourite style icon is… Nadia Hussain.
Your signature accessories include… My rings and watch.
What's the one piece that really pulled at your purse strings? I bought a Chanel bag recently which is really ‘IN’ nowadays.
What do you buy in bulk? Bags and shoes. I am crazy about these two things.
What would you never wear? Jumpsuits. I don’t know why, but I just don’t like them.
Who was your early style inspiration? My mom and my elder sister.
Item you'll never part with? There are too many things. For example, once on my birthday Sanam Baloch gifted me a few things, I still have them with me. So, I always keep all my gifts and cards safely with me. I am very sentimental that way.
How you given away anything that you later regretted? Well… believe it or not but I am very paranoid that way because I would give away money but not my belongings.
Favourite colour? All dark colours, but I don’t like orange, brown and maroon.
If you could wear only one designer for the rest of your life, who would it be? Everyone’s doing a great job but Sana & Safinaz, Zaheer Abbas and Aeisha Warsi are my all-time favourite designers. There’s another designer Rani Siddiqui, I also wear her outfits a lot.
Do you wish to host a morning show?
Well… I have been offered a few but I refused because I really can’t sacrifice my sleep for it. (Laughs) I don’t know may be later on I might do it. Who knows!
Any plans of working in films in the near future?
Oh… I would love to do a film! In fact, I was offered an Indian movie recently which I turned down. My family comes first, I have three sisters so I have to think of them also. There are certain things which I won’t do and working in a film is one of those.
Where do you see yourself in a few years?
For five years at least, I see myself working in showbiz. After that, if I get married, my husband will decide whether to work in the showbiz or not. If he does not have any issues only then I will continue.
Please tell us about your upcoming projects.
I am very selective with my work nowadays. I only take up a few projects – the ones that really interest me. You see, I am a firm believer in quality not quantity. I am planning to work with Farooq Rind and then there’s this project I have just finished shooting, it was directed by Shag. I have also done a soap 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...